Sunday, August 30, 2009
DJ AM Found Dead, Likey OD
Talented DJ, DJ AM, aka Adam Goldstein, is dead at the age of 36. NY Daily News:
When cops rolled over the body of celebrity spinner DJ AM Friday night, they discovered a near-empty bag of crack stuck to his chest, a police source said Saturday.
The 36-year-old ex-fiance of Nicole Richie, whose real name is Adam Goldstein, was discovered in bed wearing only sweatpants at his $2 million SoHo pad, sources said.
"He hadn't been there long," a police source said.
Investigators found a glass crack pipe in his bedroom and at least seven bottles of prescription drugs on his kitchen counter, including the anti-anxiety drug Xanax, sources said.
Goldstein was on his stomach with the bag of crack underneath him, suggesting he rolled on top of it before he died, a source said.
Goldstein's death comes less than a year after he barely survived a plane crash with buddy and musical collaborator Travis Barker, the former drummer for Blink-182.
Four people were killed when the plane skidded off a South Carolina runway. Goldstein suffered severe burns.
"After the accident, he changed," said close pal and fellow deejay Scott Schroer, 36. "He was more humble. He cared more about people and life."
But the harrowing accident changed Goldstein in other ways, too, Schroer said.
"Prescription drugs? If you had been in a plane crash a year ago, I'm sure you'd have prescription drugs, too," he told a Daily News reporter.
Born in Philadelphia, Goldstein battled addiction, obesity and depression as a teenager.
He landed in rehab at age 17 but returned to the California late-night rave scene and relapsed hard, doing drugs until 10 a.m. in his apartment.
"I would deejay until 2 a.m., go get drugs and stay up until 10 in the morning doing drugs in my apartment," Goldstein told People in 2005.
"Then I would wake up and eat like a beast. I was the only fat crackhead in L.A.," he told People in 2005.
Goldstein's weight ballooned above 300 pounds, and his cocaine use continued until one night in 1997 when he shoved a .22-caliber gun into his mouth.
"My whole life flashed in front of me, and I knew this was not my destiny," said Goldstein. "I started bawling my eyes out. I was like, 'God, please help me.' "
After getting sober, he got gastric bypass surgery in 2003. He lost 155 pounds, dropping from a high of 324.
It ain't fair.
Rest in Peace DJ.
DJ AM seemed like a decent guy, he didn't leave anyone to drown or kill anyone. Maybe he was a prick, we don't know. But at 36...it's just too young. And crack and meth must be just an addictive bitch to quit. And yeah, I can understand how Nicole Ritchie might drive anyone to abusing drugs. He should have known better. He should have made better choices in chicks.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.