Sunday, September 21, 2008
Obama The Hunter and Fisherman
The Pied Piper From Illinois - Barack Hussein Obama, Junior - is posturing and pandering himself to the hunting, fishing and Second Amendment Crowd in a desperate attempt to win over their support. John Kerry tried this in 2004, pretending to be an outdoorsman. It's only a matter of time until Obama - like Kerry - is captured on film asking, "is this where I git me a huntin' license."
Kerry also claimed his strategy when deer hunting is crawling around on his stomach, rolling around the ground through the woods trying to outsmart the deer. No one hunts deer this way; absolutely no one. Kerry's claim of being an experienced deer hunter was only his feeble attempt to connect with hunters. He didn't convince anyone
In an APee story*, Obama claims he often went spear-fishing as a child in Hawaii with his grandfather. He claims that spear-fishing is a combination of hunting and fishing. I wonder if he dropped to the water, crawling and rolling around trying to outsmart the fish?
The exact Obama quote from the story is this: "...I would go fishing with my grandfather. And when I got older, actually, we did spear-fishing there."
What gives his story of being a fisherman away as being fictional is his use of the word, "actually." It's a subtle and subliminal slip on his part, emphasizing "actually" doing something when he hadn't.
The other part of the story that's key is a Northern Minnesota hunter and fisherman who is campaigning for Obama. His name is Michael Jarve and he says he will "go door to door" to get the message out that "Obama isn't a gun-control advocate. [Show me] where Obama has said that he wants to ban shotguns and rifles. Where has he said that? He hasn't," said Jarve.
Okay, maybe Obama hasn't spoken those exact words, but let's examine the facts of Obama's past record on gun control:
From On The Issues (scroll down about one-third of the way for "Obama On Gun Control"):
* Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
* FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
* Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
* Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
* 2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
* Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
* Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
* Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
* Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
* Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
* Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Now lets look at Obama's positions on gun control prior to 2007 and 2008. From NRA-Institute for Legislative Action:
* FACT: Barack Obama opposes four of the five Supreme Court justices who affirmed an individual right to keep and bear arms.
* FACT: Barack Obama voted for an Illinois State Senate bill to ban and confiscate “assault weapons,” but the bill was so poorly crafted, it would have also banned most semi-auto and single and double barrel shotguns commonly used by sportsmen.
* FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.
* FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.
* FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.
* FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a 500% increase in the federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition.
* FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.
* FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people who use firearms in self-defense.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports gun owner licensing and gun registration.
* FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court Brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.
* FACT: Barack Obama opposes Right to Carry laws.
* FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and “research.
* FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.
* FACT: Barack Obama voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.
* FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory micro-stamping.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory waiting periods.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports one-gun-a-month handgun purchase restrictions.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.
* FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.
[Obama] supported allowing retired police officers to carry concealed weapons, but opposed allowing people to use banned handguns to defend against intruders in their homes.
Obama regularly supported gun-control measures, including a ban on semiautomatic "assault weapons" and a limit on handgun purchases to one a month.
He also opposed letting people use a self-defense argument if charged with violating local handgun bans by using weapons in their homes.
[Obama] voted against letting people argue self-defense in court if charged with violating local weapons bans by using a gun in their home [in 2004].
Some Illinois gun control advocates recall Senator Obama as a "friend" who represented a "solid vote" in favor of increased restrictions on firearm sales[.]
Obama's position on guns is drawing renewed scrutiny following Wednesday night's Democratic debate, when the Illinois senator said he never favored a handgun ban, even though a 1996 questionnaire in his name indicated he did.
The candidate questionnaire was filed with a nonprofit group, Independent Voters of Illinois–Independent Precinct Organization, during Mr. Obama's first run for the state Senate. It asked candidates if they "support state legislation to … ban the manufacture, sale, and possession of handguns." Mr. Obama's typed response was "Yes." His campaign later said a staffer filled out the form and unintentionally misrepresented Mr. Obama's position.
"I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns," Mr. Obama said when confronted with the questionnaire at the debate. He also denied that his handwriting was on the document, even though a copy of the form posted by Politico.com suggests otherwise. [Remember this? This is when Obama claimed what is his handwriting wasn't his. What a liar! - Drake]
As a state senator in Illinois, Mr. Obama was known as a staunch supporter of gun control proposals that came up during his tenure, advocates on both sides of the issue say. "He was somebody that we considered a friend," the executive director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, Thomas Mannard, said.
Mr. Mannard said Mr. Obama received "A" ratings from gun control organizations, and he cited his support for a ban on assault weapons and for measures strengthening background check systems.
The executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, Richard Pearson, similarly described Mr. Obama as "a strong gun control person."
"I have not known him to ever vote for a pro-gun bill," Mr. Pearson said.
Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) has an excellent chart noting gun control through the ages of oppressive regimes right here. Take some time to review it.
The following image is from JPFO, I hope they don't mind my slight modification of it:
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler
"Banning guns is an idea whose time has come." - U.S. Senator Joseph Biden
When will we see video or hear audio of Obama saying, "Yo-yo-yo, dis be where I gits me a deer huntin' license?" It's only a matter of time.
Hunting, shooting clay pigeons (also called skeet shooting), target practice and fishing has nothing to do with the Second Amendment. Nothing.
Don't fall for Obama's rhetoric that he fished, or hunted as a child. It's baloney. He's lying.
Don't fall for Obama's rhetoric that he supports the Second Amendment when the facts show he's done all he can to gut it.
Don't fall for Obama's saying he's an outdoorsman. He's not. He's lying.
Don't fall for Obama's line that he supports "common sense gun control." He's not. He's lying.
*Other sites carrying the same APee article:
KSTP News: Could blaze orange turn key states red or blue;
WTOP News: Could blaze orange turn key states red or blue.
I suspect, actually, that the deer would take down Barry.
Mr. Jarve appears to be one of those who believes "I hunt, so I need a shotgun or rifle. The rest of you are on your own." Sorry, son, but I carry a handgun for self defense, and will continue to do so.
Obama PLUS an anti-gun congress, which we could easily get, is a threat to every one of us.
I didn't spend a lot of time looking, but I did take a few minutes searching on Jarve's name looking for an email address for him. I would have liked to forward him some of the items from Obama's record on gun control. It's obvious Jarve hasn't looked into the matter for himself, only taking Obama's talking points and running with them.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.