Monday, August 20, 2007
Flight 93 Memorial Crescent Symbol
Still Under Criticism
Nearly two years after the design of the United Flight 93 Memorial was changed to eliminate any perceived Islamic symbolism, the father of one of the people killed in the crash has asked that his son's name be withheld from the monument.
"It's something I'd rather not do, but I can't get anyone to listen," said Tom Burnett Sr., of Northfield, Minn. "In a sense, I'm asking for a call to action."
Mr. Burnett, who served on the Stage II jury that picked the winning design originally named "Crescent of Embrace," said that he raised his concerns about using a crescent-shaped grouping of red maple trees around the crash site then.
"It's almost as though it's intentional," he said. "This design should not invoke any Islamic impression of any sort."
"A person facing into the giant central crescent of the Flight 93 Memorial is facing Mecca."
There are 44 glass blocks being used in the design, representing the 40 passengers and four terrorists who hijacked the plane.
The 93-foot tall Tower of Voices, which will include wind chimes to represent those who died, is an Islamic sundial. "Shadow calculations confirm that, on any day of the year, when the tower shadow reaches the inner arc of trees, it will be time for Islamic afternoon prayers."
All Mr. Burnett is looking for, he said, is a "thorough, honest investigation," of the design and those elements.
But personnel for the National Park Service, which will manage the memorial and 2,200 acre national park, have refuted each of the claims.
Must Read Additional Reading:
HERE and HERE
Spanish Pundit, Toasted Bread
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.