Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Museum Cancels Peep Mohammed Exhibit
"'Peep Mohammed' turned out to be far more controversial than 'Chocolate Jesus'", said the gallery's creative director, Matt Semler. "Whereas Christians and Catholics simply protested 'Chocolate Jesus', the Muslims have threatened to kill, torture and decapitate us if we go forward with 'Peep Mohammed'. So we dropped all plans for its premiere exhibition," he said.
The object of art, a Marshmallow Peep in the likeness of Mohammed seated in a chocolate half-shell, caused an uproar in the Muslim community which insists that there be no image, likeness or representation of the prophet.
"Peep Mohammed is blasphemy," said Cleric Baba al-Baba al-Habeeb. "Even though the museum has capitulated to our demands we still will make every effort to hurt, maim and kill those connected to this offense because we are the religion of peace," he said.
Peep Mohammed: The Latest Object d'Art Cancelled Due To Religious Protestations
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.