Thursday, June 05, 2008
'Assassination of Clinton, Obama': It's Art!
His show didn't have a chance to open. Before it could, he was arrested. New York Daily News:
A performance artist was hauled off by the law Wednesday when he tried to open an exhibit in Midtown called "The Assassination of Hillary Clinton/The Assassination of Barack Obama."
Yazmany Arboleda insisted his show was about the "character assassination" of the candidates and insisted he was no danger to either Democrat.
"It's my right as an artist to have that sign up," the 27-year-old artist said. "There's no blood, there's no guns, there's no reference to violence. My work is about words and how the media has torn them apart."
He was not charged with a crime and released at 11:30 a.m. by police after two hours of questioning.
Arboleda, who was born in Boston and raised in Colombia, said he has hired a lawyer and is determined to open his exhibit on Thursday.
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, however, called the words "totally inappropriate" and added, "This is all under investigation."
The PR Release (pdf) for Arboleda's exhibit states the following:
Arboleda shows the extreme effects of a society intent on castrating anyone in power.
...everyone is responsible, no one - and no group - is safe in this highly evocative and controversial exhibit. In the all-encompassing installation that explores the themes of sexism, racism, ageism and homophobia, one questions to what end we are willing to go to tear down our leaders in the process of electing them.
Certainly these same Liberals and Progressives wouldn't advocate for a Police State that shuts down and silences the First Amendment Rights of an artist, would they? I mean heck, the last thing Liberals and Progressives are is hypocritical - or for that matter Fascists - right?
Let the show go forth, let it open. It's art!
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.