Saturday, July 21, 2007
Kerry Says No Bloodbath In Vietnam
John Kerry chose his words wisely again, as he always does. On C-SPAN, Kerry said:
There was not a massive bloodbath in Vietnam. There were reeducation camps, and they weren't pretty and, you know, nobody, you know, likes that kind of outcome. But on the other hand, I've met lot of people today who were in those education camps, who are thriving in the Vietnam of today.
Meanwhile, the regime had already started setting up its “re-education camps" and new economic areas,”
Thousands of urban Vietnamese families have been forced to sell their homes and start over again in new economic areas ere even the basic necessities are lacking. (Hence corruption, once thought of as a Thieu trademark, is flourishing: a new mandarin class has emerged ready to sell anything from a place in a fertile new economic area to a visa to France
In all, some 300,000 people are being detained in re-education camps which are in no way similar to the show camps set up for the benefit of visiting dignitaries an foreign reporters. (The Washington Post story of February 15 was based on a visit to such a show camp.)
One out every three Saigon families has a member in one of the camps, according to French journalist Jean Lacouture, who made an automobile trip from Hanoi to Saigon in 1976. After a visit to a new economic area for former Saigon near Phan-Thiet, Lacouture wrote that it was “a prefabricated hell and a place one comes to only if the alternative to it would be death."
One only needs to search via Google "Vietnam bloodbath" or "re-education camps" to get accounts of - oh, more realistic and factual than Kerry's rose-colored version.
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'bloodbath' is."
We are so lucky this man is not the president.
Labels: Kerry Hunter
They man is a liar... no blood bath? How much smack is this man smoking?
I bet he stands up and says Hitler wasn't all the bad either.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.