Friday, November 14, 2008
Democrat Harriette Walters
Embezzles $34 Million
"This here's a story about Harriette, Walter and Jayrece
Three Dem crooks who planned a financial fleece,
Sat around D.C. embezzlin' other people's money,
They got caught and I find this very funny...
Go on take the money and run
Go on take the money and run..."
(* With apologies to the Steve Miller Band)
The Wikipedia entry on Ms. Walters says others referred to her as "Mother Walters".
From Courthouse News Service:
A manager in the District of Columbia's property tax division embezzled $34 million with help from a Bank of America branch manager and a woman who owns "home services" companies, the District claims in Superior Court.
The conspiracy allegedly had begun by October 2000 through NationsBank, which Bank of America acquired in 2005. The District demands treble damages of $104 million from Bank of America, Harriette Walters, Walter Jones Jr., and Jayrece Turnbull.
Walters worked for the District since 1981 and was manager of its Real Property Tax Administration Adjustments Unit from 2004 until late 2007. "As Manager of the RPTAAU, one of Ms. Walters's duties was to authorize or decline property tax refund requests or vouchers," the complaint states.
Jones was an assistant branch manager for NationsBank and then BofA. He allegedly deposited $17.9 million in checks at his bank, "as part of the conspiracy."
Turnbull owned bank accounts in the names of Chappa Home Services, Legna Home Services, "and variants of those names," at Jones's bank, the complaint states.
The District says it has found 116 fraudulent tax refund checks, worth more than $34 million, all "laundered through Defendant Bank." It adds: "Of the vouchers for the 116 fraudulent tax refund checks that have been found so far, all were approved by Defendant Walters."
At least 116 checks worth $34 million were laundered through [Nations Bank] according to the lawsuit.
Walters pleaded guilty to wire fraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering and tax evasion. The plea agreement calls for her to serve from 15 to 18 years in prison when she is sentenced in March.
She will also be required to pay restitution, but the city has little hope of recovering anywhere near the $48 million sought from her.
Walters admitted to issuing the phony refunds to friends and relatives and then sharing the proceeds with them. According to a statement of facts that Walters signed, she began issuing fraudulent checks in 1989 and continued until her arrest in November 2007.
Democrat Ethics...now there's an oxymoron for you!
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.