Thursday, September 25, 2008
Biden Charitable Giving Cheap, Cheap, Cheap
Enter DemocRAT Senator Joe Biden - the ultimate D.C. Insider and current Vice Presidential running mate with Obama - who is even more of a tightwad than Obama when it comes to charitable giving.
The National Center for Policy Analysis reports on Biden's - um - thriftiness - when it comes to donating to charities:
* In one year, 1999, Biden and his wife Jill gave $120 to charity out of an adjusted gross income of $210,979.
* In 2005, out of an adjusted gross income of $321,379, the Bidens gave $380.
* In nine out of the ten years for which tax returns were released, the Bidens gave less than $400 to charity; in the tenth year, 2007, when Biden was running for president, they gave $995 out of an adjusted gross income of $319,853.
Looking at the ten-year total of Biden's giving:
* One percent would have been $24,500.
* One half of one percent would have been $12,250.
* One quarter of one percent would have been $6,125.
* And one eighth of one percent would have been $3,062 -- just below what Biden actually contributed.
"The average American household gives about two percent of adjusted gross income," says Arthur Brooks, the Syracuse University scholar, soon to take over as head of the American Enterprise Institute, who has done extensive research on American giving. "On average, (Biden) is not giving more than one tenth as much as the average American household, and that is evidence that he doesn't share charitable values with the average American."
Biden and his wife, Jill, earned $319,853 in adjusted gross income and paid $72,787 in federal taxes last year, including $2,721 in alternative minimum taxes. They claimed $995 in deductions for charitable giving, about triple what they deducted in any of the nine previous years. Over the past decade they reported giving an average of $369 to charity.
Their deductions for charitable giving -- about two-tenths of 1 percent of their income -- is lower than the national average of about 3.1 percent, according to JustGive.org, a nonprofit organization that connects donors with charities.
``That lack of charitable giving at that level of income would definitely be outside the range of what we say is normal,'' said Russell James, a professor at the University of Georgia who researches charitable giving.
Liberals and Progressives are the biggest tightwads on earth. Every, single last one of them.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.