Sunday, January 27, 2008
Ellison "Impressed" By Gitmo
From WCCO News:
A day after Rep. Keith Ellison visited the Guantanamo Bay military prison, he said conditions there have become more humane than the harsh images of razor wire and guard dogs seen around the world.
Ellison, a Minneapolis Democrat, said Friday he was ''pleasantly surprised'' to find out that the 275 detainees had access to doctors, 5,000 calories a day and as much as 12 hours of daily recreation. He said conditions were comparable to Minnesota's maximum-security state prison in Oak Park Heights.
Ellison said [speaking at the University of Minnesota Law School] "[I] [d]idn't see those thumbscrews, didn't see blood on the floor, didn't see howling and screaming of people. What I did see is a whole lot of people who have no process to change the condition that they're in.'' (That's because they're terrorists or would-be terrorists, Keithy. - Drake)
The trip made Ellison reconsider his conviction that the prison should be closed.
''I was pleasantly surprised, favorably impressed with the conditions,'' he said.
Habeas Corpus has been suspended in America's history, Gitmo certainly is not the first time that enemies and enemy combatants have been denied Habeas Corpus. Of course, many
The Military Commissions Act of 2006 limits captives' access to habeas corpus."
The Military Commissions Act of 2006 was passed by both the U.S. House and Senate with Democrats voting FOR ITS passage (although is less numbers than Republicans). Dems voted in lesser numbers for this because they are pacifists and appeasers. Dems cry and weep when would-be terrorists like Jose Padilla are sentenced to 17 years for planning to kill thousands. AFP:
In August a jury convicted Padilla, Hassoun and Jayyousi of aiding a US-based Al-Qaeda cell that supplied recruits and funding to Islamic extremists abroad, and conspiring to murder, kidnap and maim people in Afghanistan, Chechnya, Bosnia and other countries from 1993 to 2001.
The prosecutors said the former Chicago gang member and Muslim convert traveled abroad to train as a "jihad" fighter, and filled out, under an alias, an application to receive "violent jihad training" while in Afghanistan in July 2000.
US authorities justified his detention without charge saying he was an "enemy combatant" who allegedly planned to explode a radioactive bomb in the country.
Come 2025 when Padilla is released, maybe he can go live with Liberal Talk Show host Mike "The Rapidly Decaying and Rotting Corpse" Malloy or Al Franken since they are so sympathetic and friendly to terrorists.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.