Sunday, April 24, 2005
A Fatwah, Foie Gras Faux Pas
Ayatollah Khomeini ----Salman Rushdie-- --Foie Gras
In 1988, Iranian Ayatollah Khomeini issued, what at the time was believed, to be a Fatwah against Salman Rushdie, author of The Satanic Verses. Recently discovered documents, however, reveal a startling fact. According to Jim McJim, of the Institute For The Arcane Unknown, after exhaustive study of the Farsi language, McJim has concluded that what the Ayatollah was actually ordering in his decree was for .."Mr. Rushdie to be pelted with Foie Gras."
According to Mr. McJim, it was a misunderstanding of the translation of both the written and spoken words of the Ayatollah. "The Farsi language is quite complex, and it was simply a matter of critical misinterpretation of what the Ayatollah said. It's rather comical now, that Mr. Rushdie was in hiding for years over what was a language faux pas over foie gras, and not a Fatwah," added McJim, snickering at his own joke.
Other peer groups have reviewed McJims' work and believe it to be one hundred percent authentic. "The eating of Foie Gras was frowned upon by the Ayatollah, and he wanted Mr. Rushdie to know it," concluded Dr. Leather Hockleer, Director of the Clinic of Minutiae. "We have no reason to believe there ever was a Fatwah against Mr. Rushdie."
In related news, the President of France, Jacque Chirac, retracted his previous statement calling for France to issue a "Foie Gras against Al-Qaeda."
Chirac: " France has no Foie Gras against Al-Qaeda."
(Disclaimer: All of the above is true, except for those parts which are not).
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.