Sunday, August 26, 2007
Hillary MrsSatan Upsets Lefty Pacifists
On the campaign trail, Republican presidential candidates have been pointing to the absence of a terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 2001 as proof that the Bush Administration and GOP are following the right course in fighting terrorism.
But now comes another candidate to declare that if there were, god forbid, another attack prior to the 2008 election, that would also help the Republicans. The speaker? Hillary Clinton, who used that presumption to make a case for herself as the Democratic nominee.
Addressing voters in Concord, N.H. yesterday, Clinton said her experience would help her "handle things I have no control over" in the general election. "It's a horrible prospect to ask yourself 'What if? What if?,' " she went on. "But if certain things happen between now and the election, particularly with respect to terrorism, that will automatically give the Republicans an advantage again, no matter how badly they have mishandled it, no matter how much more dangerous they have made the world. So I think I'm the best of the Democrats to deal with that as well."
Her comments sparked outrage on left-leaning blogs, where critics accused her of conceding a key Republican talking point without a fight and blithely accepting a Karl Rove-like framing of the terrorism debate. A Democratic candidate, bloggers argued, should be able to confidently make the case that another terror attack might suggest mistakes in the Bush and GOP approach to fighting terrorism, instead of just accepting the assumption that any threat to national security causes voters to run to Republicans.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.