Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Lisa Nowak Pleads
Cynthia McKinney Insanity
The defense for former astronaut Lisa Nowak has filed notice that it may claim she was temporarily insane when she accosted a romantic rival and shot pepper spray at her, court documents say.
Nowak, 44, allegedly stalked Air Force Capt. Colleen Shipman and drove hundreds of miles from Texas to Florida before accosting Shipman at Orlando International Airport in February.
Her attorneys filed notice of intent to rely on an insanity defense in Florida's Orange County Circuit Court on Monday. It was unsealed Tuesday.
The court papers lay out a virtual laundry list of mental health diagnoses. Chief among them were obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression, insomnia and a brief psychotic disorder.
Nowak has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted kidnapping with intent to inflict bodily harm, battery and burglary of a vehicle using a weapon. Her trial is to begin next month. If convicted, Nowak could face a sentence of up to life in prison.
Police have said Nowak wore diapers to avoid stopping during the 900-mile drive from Houston, Texas, to Orlando. She allegedly went to the airport early February 5, donned a wig, glasses, hat and raincoat, and followed Shipman from baggage claim to the parking lot.
"Psycho Bitch in SPAAAAAAAAAAACCCEEEEZZZZZZZZZEEEEEAAAAAGGHHHHHH!!!!!"
why would anyone, test or no testing, think that someone who wanted to do this job was sane? we now know how much odd behavior NASA sat on with mercury and apollo astronauts, and it wasn't pretty.
it takes lunatics to do this job, and while i cannot blame NASA for trying to balance this deal, it is a complete joke to expect sanity from these people.
do you think these people are not smart enough to navigte around a flight surgeon?
she may or may not get off with that defense, but if am on the jury, she walks, but not because i think what she was arrested for was nuts, (and it was), but because of her job description alone.
I respectfully differ with you on "if I were on the jury." I could not let her walk. She made terroristic threats to the other party (parties). I wouldn't "vote" for a life sentence, but I would side for a 10-20 yr jail sentence.
Rebuttal, good Rev?
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.