Wednesday, September 19, 2007
The Flying Nutt
FOX defends itself in censoring Sally Field's profanity:
U.S. broadcasting network Fox on Monday defended its decision to censor an emotional anti-war speech by a veteran Hollywood actress at the 59th annual Emmy Awards, who said there would be no wars if the mothers ruled the world.
Fox officials said the language used by Sally Field, a two-time Oscar winner, in her speech could be considered offensive.
An expletive uttered by Field as she made the anti-war statement at the Sunday night ceremony when accepting an Emmy for outstanding actress in a TV drama series was cut from the telecast, as was part of her statement.
As the orchestra began playing music, Field continued, "Oh God, I forgot what I was going to say. And to war, I'm proud, I'm proud of to be one of those women -- and let's face it, if the mothers ruled the world, there would be no goddamn wars in the first place."
The telecast went silent from the word "goddamn" through the end of her sentence.
A statement issued by Fox said that some language during the live broadcast may have been considered inappropriate by some viewers and as a result, officials determined to drop sound or picture during those portions of the show.
Like other live events in the United States, the Emmys are shown on brief delay to guard against obscene or questionable material.
The practice was instituted in response to a 550,000-dollar fine levied on CBS by the Federal Communications Commission in 2004 for showing Janet Jackson's exposed breast at her Super Bowl performance.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.