Friday, March 20, 2009
Fed Prints Trillions Of Dollars
Federal Reserve's move to print money shows perilous policy failure, from The Australian:
IT'S an ominous day when the world's economic superpower starts printing money to buy its own government's debt.
"Who's going to buy the bonds?" Paul Keating asked two weeks ago. Who would finance a US budget deficit forecast to swell to $US1.7 trillion ($2.5trillion) this year?
Now US Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke has revealed part of the answer: the central bank itself will buy $US300 billion of US Treasury bonds and pay for them by electronically printing the money.
The extraordinary move immediately pushed down long-term US interest rates, which set the benchmark for mortgage rates in the nation.
The markets lapped it up, just as they welcomed the Bank of England's move early this month to buy British government bonds.
Both central banks have cut their official interest rates about as low as they can go. So now they are using "quantitative easing" - literally expanding the quantity of money sloshing around their economies.
With deflation now the big fear, the aim is to get institutions lending again. But the strategy obviously carries the enormous risk of stoking future inflation.
a) The fools in charge of fiscal policy have no understanding of economics.
b) They are crazy like foxes and simply setting the stage for a regional or global currency...
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.