Thursday, January 15, 2009
Pbama Inaugural Most Expensive Ever
[The 2005 Bush] inauguration story came ready with two interesting news angles: the huge cost (in contrast with the dire situation in Iraq) and the unprecedented security.
Bush's overblown celebration ranks as one of the few political issues that most Americans agree on -- a phenomenon the press ignored.
For the media, simply reporting on the cost of the inauguration proved to be a challenge. Most major outlets stuck to the lower, albeit still unprecedented, figure of $40 million, which the Presidential Inaugural Committee said it hopes to raise from private donors. But a more accurate figure may be $50 million. That's the amount cited by the Washington Times (which is plugged in to GOP circles). But even that number doesn't take into account the nearly $20 million that's being spent for security, putting the real cost at closer to $70 million, instead of the media's preferred $40 million.
The Pbama Cultists and Insane Liberal Posse (ILCP) will maintain their observant and dutiful silence, biting their tongues (little pillow biters that they are), and withhold the slightest criticism of the most extravagant and unprecedented, most expensive presidential inauguration ever. The Guardian:
President Barack Obama's inauguration next week is set to be the most expensive ever, predicted to reach over $150m (£102m). This dwarfs the $42.3m spent on George Bush's inauguration in 2005 and the $33m spent on Bill Clinton's in 1993.
It will take Barack Obama less than a minute to recite the oath of office -- and when he’s done dancing at the inaugural balls Jan. 20, the price tag for his swearing-in festivities could approach $160 million.
As in previous years, the costs borne by the taxpayers, for security and emergency medical services, far surpasses the privately funded events.
A comparison of Bush's 2005 hoedown and the Obamoron's of this year is an increase of almost 400% in an age when the economy has contracted to below the level in 2005. So Barry's is probably five times more expensive than the 2005 Bush inaugural. Barry is friggin' awesome!
It's just math, you know.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.