Monday, September 25, 2006
And Let's Not Forget Bill Clinton, Somalia and Osama Bin Laden
Fox News' Chris Wallace claimed on Sunday that Osama bin Laden was emboldened by Bill Clinton's pulling out from Somalia after the 'Black Hawk Down' incident. But Wallace is dead wrong: Clinton kept U.S. troops there for six months...
My post this morning on Salon concerns the accusation voiced this weekend by Chris Wallace in his Fox News interview with President Clinton (a favorite accusation of neoconservatives) that Clinton "emboldened" Al Qaeda when he withdrew American troops from Somalia as soon as we suffered casualties, which (so the neoconservative mythology contends) led Osama bin Laden to believe that we were weak and could be defeated.
BIN LADEN: We believe that the defeat of America is possible, with the help of God, and is even easier for us, God permitting, than the defeat of the Soviet Union was before.
Q: How can you explain that?
BIN LADEN: We experienced the Americans through our brothers who went into combat against them in Somalia, for example. We found they had no power worthy of mention. There was a huge aura over America -- the United States -- that terrified people even before they entered combat. Our brothers who were here in Afghanistan tested them, and together with some of the mujahedeen in Somalia, God granted them victory. America exited dragging its tails in failure, defeat, and ruin, caring for nothing.
America left faster than anyone expected. It forgot all that tremendous media fanfare about the new world order, that it is the master of that order, and that it does whatever it wants. It forgot all of these propositions, gathered up its army, and withdrew in defeat, thanks be to God.
The question is not was there a U.S. military presence in Somalia for six months following Black Hawk Down, or did Republicans call for withdraw from Somalia. THE QUESTION is was OBL emboldened by the way Clinton reacted in Somalia. The answer is clearly 'yes', OBL himself says so! The Left has been very anxious to legitimize the words of OBL in the past, in all of his audio and video messages. Please, Lefties, don't tell me that now - in this one instance - you're going to downplay OBL own words.
But maybe that's just the way that that crazy Right Wing Conspiracy Arm of the Media - CNN - transcribed the interview. Yeah...that must be it.
Really, "Enlightenment" - you don't think you can get away with your propaganda here, do you?!?
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.