Sunday, June 14, 2009
Pittsburgh Penguins Win Stanley Cup
What a great Game Seven in the NHL Friday night. One of the best game sevens, and one of the best Stanley Cup Series, in recent memory. It was a match-up of the same two teams in last year's series, the Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Red Wings defeating the Penguins in six games last year.
Friday night, the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS WON, beating the Detroit Red Wings 2 -1.
The Penguins outplayed the Red Wings in Game Seven, maybe not by a lot but by enough to win. And a win is win. Remember, it was only one year ago that - while they lost the series - the Penguins defeated Detroit in game five in TRIPLE OVERTIME. IF there were any lingering ghosts from last season hanging over the Penguins, they were effectively and forever exorcised.
This was a long, multi-game series for the Penguins. They fought their way to winning the Stanley Cup. Not that other teams didn't play hard and work hard, but the Penguins - I hate to belabor the point - had to vindicate themselves for losing to the Red Wings last year.
Penguins' goalie Marc-Andre Fleury turned in an Awesome performance Friday night. At 6' 2" and around 180 pounds, he's not a physically imposing goalie, but he is wiry and bendable. He twists and turns and extends like a rubber band. Watching him make those saves was like watching a person bend himself into pretzel-like body contortions. His last two saves in the remaining seconds of the third period were beyond yeoman.
Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins and their fans - and I am one of them. They absolutely deserve to be this year's winner of The Cup.
Congratulations to my family and friends in Michigan and to the fine writers on my blogroll who live in the Detroit area and Michigan.
This was a great series for all NHL fans everywhere.
Images used the above post reproduced via Fair Use Section 107.
I would like to take a moment to rub EC's face into his terrible and obviously wrong prediction of the Stanley Cup series outcome.
(Drum roll please)....THE WINNER OF THE STANLEY CUP IS THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS, WINNING IN GAME SEVEN OVER THE DETROIT RED WINGS BY A SCORE OF 2-1.
Eat it, EC. Eat your miserably miscalculated prognostication. ;-)
Friday's Game 7 had the Pens outplay the Red Wings. Not by much, but just enough to win The Cup. No, Detroit did not roll over, they are too good for that.
Those last two saves by Fleury were amazing. He's like Rubber Man or Stretch Man of the Fantastic Four.
You prediction did not materialize and for that - as a Penguins fan - I am most pleased.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.