Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Ed McMahon Dead At 86
You couldn't ask for, or create (if you could) a better sidekick than Ed.
There will never be another Ed McMahon just as there will never be another Johnny Carson.
Ed McMahon's obituary at the New York Daily News:
...he made "Hi-Yo!" and "Heeeeere's Johnnnny" parts of the American lexicon.
McMahon was the straight man for Carson's famed Carnac the Magnificent skits, during which Carson would guess an answer before McMahon even read the question.
"We didn't rehearse," McMahon told Larry King in a 2005 interview after Carson died. "You know, we never - I never saw it 'til, you know, I only - I'd see on the rundown, "Carnac," that's all I would see."
The BBC remembers Ed in a photo montage.
He was "TV's Everyman", NY Daily News:
Ed McMahon was an old-school salesman. He never denied it, never apologized for it and never had a reason to.
He put himself through school, he always said, by pitching vegetable slicers. Seventy years later he was hawking "cash4gold" and FreeCreditReport.com.
No Rolex watches here. Ed McMahon's people were ordinary folks.
Rest In Peace.
Labels: Ed McMahon
Ed was the best sidekick ever, I agree. My parents would let me stay up late some nights and watch The Tonight Show. I'm glad I bugged them to let me do so.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.