Thursday, May 28, 2009
Orrin Hatch Says Sonia Sotomayor
"May be an activist judge."
Sen. Orrin Hatch said Tuesday Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor may be an "activist judge," and that just because he voted previously to confirm her to other courts doesn't mean he will vote for her now.
When Hatch was chairman of the Judiciary Committee 11 years ago, he (and Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah) voted to confirm Sotomayor to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals — even though other Republicans held up her nomination for a year. Hatch also earlier voted to confirm her as a federal district-court judge.
But he told MSNBC that does not necessarily mean he will vote for her now.
"In 1998, I did vote to confirm her, because I believe in giving the president (Bill Clinton at the time) due deference, especially for circuit courts of appeals nominations. But now we are talking about the most important court on earth. We're talking about the court of last resort," Hatch said.
Orrin Hatch. Maybe he's not The Chief Apologist for The Republican Party?
Who knew Mr. Hatch possessed such gusto? I mean, Hatch is the person I call The Chief Apologist for The Republican Party. And he has double-duty, doing the work of The Second-In-Command Chief Apologist for the Republican Party who was Arlen Specter who defected from the Republican Party and rejoined the party of his roots, The Commiecrat Party.
Hatch has plenty of time to reverse himself and his words and become a cheerleader for Sotomayor. If he does, it will surprise me nyet. It's not difficult for me to imagine him saying to his fellow Republicans, "She's not so bad. It could be a lot worse, guys. We need to show bipartisanship and support her."
Well, for the time being, congratulations Senator Hatch. I hope you have the courage and cahones to vote against Sotomayor when the time comes.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.