Saturday, February 07, 2009
Pakistan Suicide Bomber Kills 30
Angry protests have struck Pakistan's Punjab province after a bomb attack on a Shia religious procession on Thursday left 30 dead.
...a senior Punjab police official said the attack was definitely carried out by a suicide bomber "wearing a jacket packed with 12kg of explosives".
"We have recovered body parts and pieces of metal from the exact point of attack," deputy inspector general Athar Malik told reporters.
AFP also reported police as saying 16 suspects had been arrested in connection with the blast.
Where, dear god, is the Anti-Iraq War Crowd now? Why so silent?
Meanwhile, Iraq death toll lowest since invasion. AFP:
A total of 191 Iraqis were killed in violence across the country last month, the lowest toll since the US-led invasion of 2003, authorities said on Sunday.
The figures, released after an election held in 14 of the country's 18 provinces passed off without major violence on Saturday, showed that 140 civilians, 27 soldiers and 24 policemen lost their lives in January.
The death toll was 42 percent down on December's total of 316, which had itself been the lowest figure for almost three years.
"I consider the toll is due to the efforts of the Iraqi security forces, and the support of the Iraqi people, which helped to keep down the terror," defence ministry spokesman Major General Mohammad al-Askari told AFP.
"This toll is the lowest since 2003," he said.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.