Thursday, February 05, 2009
Cheney Concerned Over Pbama Administration's National Security
Former Vice President Dick Cheney warned that there is a “high probability” that terrorists will attempt a catastrophic nuclear or biological attack in coming years, and said he fears the Obama administration’s policies will make it more likely the attempt will succeed.
In an interview Tuesday with Politico, Cheney unyieldingly defended the Bush administration’s support for the Guantanamo Bay prison and coercive interrogation of terrorism suspects.
And he asserted that President Obama will either backtrack on his stated intentions to end those policies or put the county at risk in ways more severe than most Americans - and, he charged, many members of Obama’s own team - understand.
But he said he worried that “instead of sitting down and carefully evaluating the policies,” Obama officials are unwisely following “campaign rhetoric” and preparing to release terrorism suspects or afford them legal protections granted to more conventional defendants in crime cases.
The choice, he alleged, reflects a naïve mindset among the new team in Washington: “The United States needs to be not so much loved as it needs to be respected. Sometimes, that requires us to take actions that generate controversy. I’m not at all sure that that’s what the Obama adminstration [sic] believes.” [ Naaaaw, Dick, it's the Hope 'n Change Pushy Sunshine Smile Let's Be Nice To Terrorists And Maybe They'll Be Nice To Us Administration. - Drake ]
The interview, less than two weeks after the Bush administration ceded power to Obama, found the man who is arguably the most controversial - and almost surely the most influential - vice president in U.S. history in a self-vindicating mood.
His comments made unmistakable that Cheney - likely more than former President Bush, who has not yet given post-White House interviews - is willing and even eager to spar with the new administration and its supporters over the issues he cares most about.
Good! Great! I'm looking forward to hearing more "sparring" from Cheney directed at the Corrupt, Tax-Cheating Criminal, Terrorist-Friendly Pbama Administration.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.