Friday, November 14, 2008
Joseph Fritzl Facing Murder Charge
From BBC News:
The Austrian father who allegedly imprisoned and abused his daughter for 24 years has been charged with murdering one of their seven children.
Austrian prosecutors say the charges against Joseph Fritzl carry a prison sentence of 10 years to life.
Mr Fritzl is also charged with slavery and rape. If found guilty, he faces 20 years in jail on those charges.
He has been in custody since the case came to light in April and a trial is expected to begin early next year.
Mr Fritzl fathered seven children with his daughter Elisabeth, now aged 42, in a cellar at his home in Amstetten, west of Vienna.
Three of them grew up in the cellar - without ever seeing daylight - while three others were brought up by Mr Fritzl's wife.
Now prosecutors have levelled charges at him over the death of the seventh child, a baby born in the underground chamber.
Mr Fritzl is alleged to have refused to call for medical help after the baby was born, despite knowing the child could die.
"Despite recognising the baby's life-threatening situation, he deliberately decided not to intervene," prosecutors said in the charge sheet against Mr Fritzl.
He has told police that he took the body of the child and incinerated it in a furnace.
Under Austrian law the act of not seeking medical attention for the newborn child is classified as murder.
Mr Fritzl, 73, was declared mentally fit to stand trial last month. His lawyer has refused to comment on the charges against his client.
Labels: Josef Fritzl
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.