Friday, October 17, 2008
Obama Gives ACORN $800 Grand
Nope, no connection at all between Obama and ACORN. But there is the matter of this $800 Grand donation. The Detroit Free Press:
Barack Obama's ties to a controversial voter registration group -- responsible for signing up more than a million new voters nationwide this year but whose employees have been accused in some cases of illegal activity -- are coming under increasing scrutiny with the presidential election less than three weeks away.
The issue has forced Obama -- who has been building a lead over Republican John McCain -- to explain the work he has done with the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, known as ACORN, in the past and why his campaign paid one of its subsidiaries $800,000 for get-out-the-vote efforts in the primaries.
Last month, the Free Press noted several municipal clerks had reported "a sizable number of duplicate and fraudulent applications." Then, on Tuesday, state Attorney General Mike Cox announced the arrest of a former ACORN worker on charges of falsifying six voter registration applications.
More problematic for Obama may be his links to ACORN -- which he downplayed Tuesday as "pretty straightforward," noting he represented the group and others (including the League of Women Voters) as a lawyer in an election law case in the '90s.
He didn't mention reports that his campaign had given $800,000 to Citizens Services Inc. -- an ACORN subsidiary -- this year.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.