Friday, April 04, 2008
Martin Luther King, Jr. Assassinated
40 Years Ago
Today is a sad day in history. It marks the assassination of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. forty years ago. His words and message live on as they should. We all should take a few moments to mourn his horrific and untimely death and remember him. But more importantly, we all need to celebrate his life, his message and for what he stood.
In a speech delivered by the Lorraine Hotel in Memphis - the site of where King was killed - Republican Senator and presidential candidate John McCain apologized for his past record of voting against making Martin Luther King Day a Federal Holiday. While there are some reports floating around out there that said McCain was booed during his speech, in any audio and video footage of McCain's speech today you can also hear people in the crowd shouting "we forgive you." It was brave and courageous for McCain to say what he said today.
Finally, for the Lefties who think they are so holier-than-thou when it comes to Civil Rights, let me remind everyone of a very important past of Liberal Politics:
It is worth noting and mentioning - because if the situation were reversed the Left would never let anyone forget it - that it was a Democrat White House Administration and Democrat Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy that ordered the illegal telephone wiretapping, spying and surveillance of Rev. King in October, 1963.
This is a pox on the Democrats that they never talk about and would like for everyone to forget. Unfortunately for them, I will never let this fact be dismissed, ignored or go unnoticed.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.