Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Richard Widmark Dies
Actor Richard Widmark has died at the age of 93. BBC:
Hollywood star Richard Widmark has died at the age of 93 after a long illness, his wife has announced.
The prolific actor, who often portrayed killers and gunslingers, made a memorable big-screen debut in 1947 as a giggling psychopath in Kiss of Death.
He went on to star in such 50s classics as Night and the City, Pickup on South Street and the western Broken Lance.
The craggy-faced actor died at his home in Connecticut on Monday, according to his wife Susan Blanchard.
His last film role came in the 1991 thriller True Colors, although he made occasional appearances afterwards in TV documentaries.
"I now find the whole moviemaking process irritating," he said in 1987. "I don't have the patience anymore."
Born in Minnesota in 1914, Widmark began his career in radio and theatre before playing cackling killer Tommy Udo in Kiss of Death.
The film landed him an Oscar nomination and a Golden Globe award for best newcomer - but he was not entirely enamoured with fame.
"That damned laugh of mine!" he said in 1961. "For two years after that picture, you couldn't get me to smile.
"I played the part the way I did because the script struck me as funny and the part I played made me laugh."
Richard Widmark from the classic "Kiss Of Death"
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.