Friday, February 15, 2008
Nasrallah Threatens Israel
At Moughniyah Funeral
From al-Reuters via Yahoo News:
Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah threatened Israel with "open war" on Thursday and accused the Jewish state of killing a top commander who was among the United States' most wanted men.
"Zionists, if you want this type of open war then let the whole world hear: let it be an open war," Nasrallah told mourners at the funeral of Imad Moughniyah, a legend to Hezbollah but one of the men most wanted by Israel and the United States for planning attacks that killed hundreds.
Moughniyah, hunted by Israel and the United States for two decades, was killed by a bomb in Damascus on Tuesday.
Moughniyah was a kind and loving guy. Some of his charitable acts are listed - again - by al-Reuters:
* Moughniyah was the head of the security apparatus for Hezbollah and was on the FBI list of "most wanted terrorists". Washington had placed a reward of $5 million for his capture or conviction.
* Moughniyah was thought to be commander of Islamic Jihad, a shadowy pro-Iranian group widely believed to be linked to Hezbollah, in Beirut in the mid-1980s when it kidnapped dozens of Western hostages, including Americans.
The group killed some of its captives and exchanged others for U.S. weapons to Iran in what was later known as the Iran-Contra scandal. Among the victims of Islamic Jihad was the CIA's Middle East station chief.
* Islamic Jihad militants linked to Hezbollah were blamed for a 1983 attack on a U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut that killed 241 people, the bombing of its embassy the same year, in which 63 people were killed and an attack on a French base which killed 58 French paratroopers.
* Moughniyah was indicted for his role in planning and participating in the June 14, 1985, hijacking of a U.S. plane.
Four Hezbollah operatives hijacked a TWA flight, traveling between Athens and Rome, to Beirut, beginning a 17-day ordeal in which the plane made two trips to Algeria. The hijackers killed U.S. Navy diver Robert Dean Stethem in Beirut.
* Moughniyah was also indicted for the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community centre in Buenos Aires, which killed 85 people, and was the subject of an arrest warrant for the 1992 bombing of the Israeli embassy there, in which 29 people died.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.