Tuesday, February 12, 2008
"Jaws" Police Chief Roy Scheider Dies
US actor Roy Scheider, best known for playing the police chief in the Jaws movies, has died at the age of 75.
As well as starring in the first two shark thrillers, Scheider received two Oscar nominations during his career.
He was up for best supporting actor for The French Connection in 1972 and best actor for 1979's All That Jazz.
He died in hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas. He had been treated there for multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cell, for the past two years.
Scheider was also known for his Liberal ass-hativism and pacifism. Encyclopedia.com:
"Jaws" star Roy Scheider staged a peace protest in the Hamptons the other day, lying down in the middle of Montauk Highway pretending to be a casualty of war. Scheider headed up a contingent of 75 peaceniks who staged a mock funeral procession down the middle of Route 27 this week, causing a brief traffic jam but mostly confusion.
"This war is insane. (American President) George W. Bush is doing everything he can to make you look unpatriotic if you disagree with him.
"This is fear-mongering. Now I am really afraid of terrorism. I wasn't before."
One of my favorite Scheider movies, 1986's: "52 Pick-Up."
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.