Sunday, January 27, 2008
Christian Brando Dies
Christian Brando, eldest son of the late actor Marlon Brando, has died in Los Angeles, aged 49.
He had reportedly been in a coma and on a ventilator, and died of complications arising from pneumonia.
"His body was totally compromised," said his former wife, Deborah. "He'd lived so hard."
After a few minor acting roles, he hit the headlines in 1990, when he shot dead his half-sister's boyfriend, for which he served five years in jail.
In 2005, he pleaded guilty to abusing his then-wife Deborah and was placed on probation, and ordered to undergo drug and alcohol rehabilitation.
Christian Brando also figured in the murder trial of Hollywood actor Robert Blake, whose wife was shot to death in 2001.
He invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination on the stand when a lawyer for Blake, who was eventually acquitted, suggested that Brando had been the killer.
But he will be best remembered for the 1990 death of Dag Drollet, boyfriend of his half-sister Cheyenne, at the Brando family's estate.
He said in court that he had accidentally shot Mr Drollet as they struggled for a gun during an argument over whether the boyfriend had beaten his pregnant girlfriend.
Pleading guilty to manslaughter, he spent five years in prison.
Cheyenne committed suicide in 1995 at the age of 25.
Marlon Brando, star of On The Waterfront and The Godfather, died in 2004 at the age of 80.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.