Thursday, January 31, 2008
al Qaida Leader Abu Laith al-Libi Killed
A senior al-Qaeda leader in Afghanistan, Abu Laith al-Libi, has been killed, Western counter-terrorism officials have told the BBC.
News of his death emerged on a website used by Islamist groups. Ekhlaas.org said he had "fallen as a martyr".
There is speculation that he was killed by a US missile strike in the North Waziristan area of Pakistan this week.
A dozen militants were reported killed in the attack. US intelligence agencies said they were checking the reports.
Libi has appeared in a number of al-Qaeda videos. In November he appeared alongside al-Qaeda second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahri.
He is thought to be one of al-Qaeda's most senior field commanders in Afghanistan, and to have directed a number of recent suicide bomb attacks in the east of the country.
Failed presidential candidate and U.S. Congressman Dennis Kucinich announced he will be holding a candlelight memorial vigil tonight in his hometown of Cleveland, beginning at 7PM Eastern Time for al-Libi. Kucinich described al-Libi as, "my good friend and a great humanitarian. I will miss him, I will miss him dearly."
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.