Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad At Ground Zero:
An Insult To Everyone
The New York Daily News:
Iran's president - a Holocaust denier, accused terrorist and proud member of the Axis of Evil - requested to visit Ground Zero but was promptly rejected by the NYPD, authorities said today.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who has said Israel should be "wiped off the map" and has called the Holocaust a "myth," made the request through the Iranian mission in New York about two weeks ago, authorities said.
Ahmadinejad asked to lay a wreath at the World Trade Center site during the opening of the United Nations General Assembly next week. The NYPD denied his request citing security concerns, authorities said.
Ahmadinejad had visited New York twice before, but had never before asked to visit the site of the 9/11 terror attacks.
The Iranian president is a hard-liner who has denied claims by several Americans that he was one of the extremists who took them hostage in 1979. He has stated recently that the 9/11 attacks were an inside job, carried out with help of intelligence agents.
"Under no circumstances should the NYPD or any other American authority assist President Ahmadinejad in visiting Ground Zero," said former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani. "This is a man who has made threats against America and Israel, is harboring Bin Laden's son and other al-Qaeda leaders, is shipping arms to Iraqi insurgents and is pursuing the development of nuclear weapons. Assisting Ahmadinejad in touring Ground Zero - hallowed ground for all Americans - is outrageous."
"Ahmadinejad's shockingly audacious request should be met with a vehement no," Romney said in a statement. "It's inconceivable that any consideration would be given to the idea of entertaining the leader of a state sponsor of terror at Ground Zero. This would deeply offend the sensibilities of Americans from all corners of our nation."
The response from the White House - frankly, I find it appalling:
"This is a matter for the City of New York resolve," a spokesman for the National Security Council at the White House, Gordon Johndroe, said. He added pointedly: "It seems odd that the president of a country that is a state sponsor of terror would visit ground zero."
Contact the White House and tell them NO to Ahmadinejad visiting Ground Zero:
Labels: Ahmadinejad Ground Zero
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.