Friday, August 03, 2007
I-35W Bridge Upate
Minneapolis Police Chief, Tim Dolan, in a news conference held about 90 minutes ago, said the number of dead trapped or pinned under the bridge debris could be "several". Recovery teams and divers are having a very difficult time due to the murkiness of the water.
The revised estimate of vehicles on the bridge when it collapsed is 60.
At another news conference held only a few minutes after the above, NTSB Chairman Mark Rosenker said the south section of the bridge behaved differently than the rest of the bridge. The south section moved 50 feet to the east. He said it is not known at this time if the shift occurred before or after the collapse, or if the shift was an initiating factor precipitating the collapse.
WCCO reports five deaths are confirmed and the number of injured has increased to over 100.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.