Saturday, June 09, 2007
Sanjaya Bahel, former UN Official
Found Guilty Of Fraud
Sanjaya Bahel's was the UN's Commodity Procurement Section from 1999 to 2003 (emphasis mine):
He was found guilty and convicted on Thursday:
...of charges that he helped a friend secure $100 million in U.N. contracts in exchange for a huge discount on two luxury Manhattan apartments and cash.
He was convicted of bribery, wire fraud and mail fraud, charges which carry a potential penalty of up to 30 years in prison. Bahel slumped in his chair when the verdict was read.
His one-time co-defendant, Nishan Kohli, pleaded guilty to bribery and testified against Bahel, saying Bahel gave his family so much inside information about pending contracts that the Kohlis came to think of Bahel as a business partner.
Kohli let Bahel rent two luxury midtown Manhattan apartments at a huge discount and later buy them cheap.
Bahel [carried] a cell phone so hundreds of calls related to Bahel's work for the Kohli businesses would not be seen by other U.N. executives.
Yeah, uh-huh. Why, the UN is the most trusted, above-board, reliable, uncorrupt, scandal-free organization to ever have been created. And, if you believe that, I have lovely, beautiful, sandy beach, ocean-front property for sale that you're willing to buy, sight unseen, in Nebraska.
Everyone was saying "subway," "Empire State" and other targets. I glowered into me berr and said "Turtle Bay. Take out Turtle Bay and turn the hole over to Turmp."
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.