Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Duke Lacrosse Team Cleared of All Charges
State Attorney General Roy Cooper said at a televised news conference that the counts against Reade Seligmann, David Evans and Collin Finnerty were dismissed because of lack of evidence and would not be raised again.
``We believe that these cases were the result of a tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations,'' Cooper said. ``Based on the significant inconsistencies between the evidence and the various accounts given by the accusing witness, we believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges.''
Nifong's office dropped the rape charges in December after the accuser told prosecutors she didn't know if she had been penetrated by a penis during the attack. She also told investigators that month that two men, not three, attacked her.
In December, the head of a laboratory used by prosecutors said his lab failed to disclose that it found DNA from unidentified males in samples taken from the accuser's body and underwear. Defense lawyers accused Nifong of hiding evidence that might have cleared the players.
``Eyewitness identification procedures were faulty and unreliable,'' Cooper said. ``No DNA confirms the accuser's story. No other witness confirms her story. Other evidence contradicts her story. She contradicts herself.''
``The Durham district attorney pushed forward unchecked.''
Nifong faces possible disbarment over the charges.
The (ahem)...victim's name isn't Tawana Brawley, is it? No...Drudge is reporting her name as Crystal Gail (or perhaps Gayle) Magnum, but others say that is her
According to this source, under the sub-heading April 21, 2006 (scroll down and find that date):
Alleged Duke rape victim is released: Crystal Gayle Magnum. She has been convicted of five felonies including theft, larceny and high speed chase to avoid arrest. *Source Tom Lykis/ Westwood One
Jesse and Al have it within themselves to do the right thing and publicly apologize to the lacrosse team for leaping to judgment, right?
Oh Lordy...that made me spit the coffee. I wouldn't want her fingers in my mouth...or any other orifice for that matter.
Spot On, Dane, Spot on!
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.