Sunday, January 07, 2007
Minnesota Democrats Ready To
Fiscally Rape Taxpayers...Again!
Minnesota is a good example to cite since, by all reasonable expectations, the state is expected to exceed a state budgetary surplus over $2 BILLION dollars. We all know that $2 Billion doesn't even approach a figure of "real money" that Democrats and Liberals can spend. $2 Billion? Why, even the most unambitious Liberal at the federal or state level can vote to spend that amount with the blink of an eye.
Like any other type of addiction, Minnesota (and many other states and at the federal level) politicians - Democrats especially, and many RINOs - are addicted to spending. They can't get enough of it, it makes them high.
Not only do they have all sorts of ideas of how and where to spend the surplus, they have the effrontery to believe in, and suggest that, more taxes and fees be created and levied upon the people.
How are Minnesota's Democrats planning to financially rape us this time?
Transportation Committee Chairman Steve Murphy, a DEMOCRAT, has proposed the following for highway and public transit spending:
- Increase the gas tax by 10 cents per gallon.
- Allow the seven-county metro area to increase the sales tax by a half-cent on the dollar to finance transportation projects. It also authorizes out-state counties (that's you non-Twin City/Metro counties - Ed.) to ask voters to raise local sales taxes for roads and bridges.
- Boost license tab fees for new cars and trucks.
- Permit all Minnesota counties to levy a $20-per year wheelage tax to help pay for road and bridge construction.
- Metro counties can add a $20 sales tax on new cares and trucks. (1)
If permanent tax cuts cannot be enacted now, coupled with some above-average taxpayer rebates or refunds, then when will it happen? Never...never.
Oh, if the above Transportation bill was the only thing to oppose this session, but no. The Merry Band Of Little Socialists in Minnesota have more ways to confiscate the money you work for and earn:
Senate Majority Leader Larry Pogemiller, (a DEMOCRAT and Carl Pohlad's Personal Hand Puppet and Concubine - Ed.) proposes an increase in the State Sales Tax:
- ...by 3/8 of a cent for every dollar spent on taxable goods. Proceeds [will be] dedicated to fish and wildlife habitat, parks, trails, zoos, clean water, the arts and public broadcasting.(3)
Irrespective of the obvious PBS Leftward Political Slant in its reporting and program content, PBS must be fully defunded of all taxpayer money. It must end! It's time for PBS to stand on its own, paying for itself via its corporate sponsors, its voluntary contributions from foundations (i.e. old rich people and generational families born into wealth who like to watch opera...on TV) and voluntary contributions from - just like PBS says - Viewers Like You (Socialists)! Please, no counter-arguments of how little the percentage slice of taxpayer "pie" that goes to fund PBS. Highway robbery is highway robbery, the dollar amount notwithstanding.
And yes, I'd say the same thing if PBS programming and context were skewed Right of center. It's not about the politics. It's about the money...the taxpayer's money.
And who, even the most evil and vile NeoCon can argue with clean water? Don't you ever have a hankering to quench your thirst with a good, old glass of cloudy tap water chock-full of heavy-particulate matter? I sure do! Mmmmmm-mmmmmmm good!
Soon, a few short moments after a child is born, said child will be whisked away from its mother by the Education Socialists and put into State Schools for edukashun:
[Minnesota] Senate Democrats proposed all-day, every-day kindergarten and money to help parents put their children in preschool.
Assistant Senate Majority Leader Tarryl Clark, (a DEMOCRAT - Ed.) [said], "if we want to continue to be a leader, these are...areas we need to address." (4)
Why in the hell am I paying for some kid's preschool? I already pay for K-12, isn't that enough? It is not unreasonable to expect that it should be.
Health Care - oh, hell yes - of course it's on the agenda! Senator Linda Berglin , (a DEMOCRAT - Ed.), is "optimistic that we'll make good progress on it this year." (5)
"We'll make good progress on it this year" = "We'll make good process in once again sticking it to the taxpayer".
Among the areas to Tax and Spend more taxpayer money we find the usual Socialistic Buzzwords:
..."Creation of a Discount Prescription Drug Program"... "Eliminate Co-Pays" ... "Achieve Universal Coverage" ..."Increase Eligibility" ...
The measure does not indicate how much the plan would cost or how it would be funded.(6)
And what's so telling - so revealing - about the Democrat's plan is something which is so obvious and transparent. You see it, don't you? It's not that there isn't enough money to spend, there's too much, way way way too much money, to spend in that these people aren't asking what any individual or private business asks at the earliest stages of what is nothing more than the most basic and fundamental business model: "How Much Will It Cost?"
These are but a few of the
Oh, wait - stop - put everything on hold! NFL's Vikings Owner Zygi Wilf wants a brand new, Taj Mahal-like stadium financed in part by The Taxpayers!
St. Paul Pioneer Press:
(1) & (2): 2007 Minnesota Legislature: Proposals, by Bill Salisbury; St. Paul Pioneer Press, January 5, 2007, page 9A
(3)-(6): 2007 Minnesota Legislature: The Senate's First Bills, by Bill Salisbury, Megan Boldt and Rachel Stassen-Berger; St. Paul Pioneer Press, January 5, 2007, page 8A
Is that a David Drake original? It's brilliant.
Don't let that go to your head, Drake.
Can you speak up please, it's really hard to hear you from...
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.