Saturday, December 30, 2006
Saddam Hussein: Dead
- His Last Moments, BBC:
Television pictures released by the Iraqi authorities showed [Hussein], bearded and clad in a dark overcoat, appearing alongside masked executioners.
The masked man moved a hand along the former leader's neck and chest, seemingly demonstrating the action of the gallows. He then placed what seemed to be a black cloth around Saddam Hussein's neck.
The former Iraqi leader shrugged and took a step forwards. A rope noose was lowered over his neck.
No footage has been released of what happened beyond that point.
- EU commissioner on external relations Benita Ferrero-Waldner expressed her opposition to death penalty against former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
- - -
- German Deputy Foreign Minister Gernot Erler said that Germany held the view that the Iraqi leader was guilty of "serious crimes." However, the government remains opposed to the death penalty no matter where the execution was carried out, Erler said.
- - -
- Iraqi-Americans cheered and cried outside a Dearborn mosque as some Arab media reported that Saddam Hussein was executed.
- - -
-...many of those persecuted by Saddam Hussein's regime, his execution was an event they had been waiting for for decades:
"It is easy when somebody kills your innocent family.
"My brothers and my cousins never did anything against the government or said anything, they were so good."
But she said: "I`m not happy because they didn't show the death in front of the people - I want to see this moment, like every woman, every mother, every sister."
- His Enemies Rejoice, Some Arabs Angry.
- - -
- Kuwaitis Rejoice.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.