Wednesday, September 27, 2006
John Murtha Has Some Veterans To Answer To!
Next weekend in downtown Johnstown, the bitter battle over U.S. Rep. John Murtha’s controversial war stance will come to a head.
Two ideologically divergent but equally vocal veterans groups have scheduled rallies in connection with the congressman’s criticism of the Bush administration and the Iraq war.
A pro-Murtha event is scheduled for Saturday in Central Park. The next day, Murtha critics will occupy Cambria County War Memorial Arena just a few blocks away.
“We have people coming in from as far away as the state of Washington and California,” said Harry Beam, a retired Army veteran and Upper Yoder Township resident who is helping organize the Oct. 1 “Boot Murtha” gathering.
The fact that Murtha faces opposition from Republican candidate Diana Irey, a Washington County commissioner, only serves to up the ante.
Leaders of the “Boot Murtha” effort claim they have no connection with Irey’s campaign.
“This is personal, not political,” said Craig Minnick, an Iraq veteran and Upper Yoder resident who is helping Beam coordinate the rally at the War Memorial.
Organizers are touting a full lineup of speakers. They include two fathers who lost sons in Iraq, the father of a Marine and a survivor of the World Trade Center attack on Sept. 11, 2001.
It's about time people start applying the same standard to democratic politicians that democrats apply to republicans, especially with regard to military service.
In the 1996 presidential race former Senator Bob Dole was indeed a war hero while Bill Clinton was the complete opposite, a draft dodger. Back then the Left told the public that it really wasn't fair to make an issue out of Clinton not serving. The Left said is wasn't f a i r to be extolling the virtues of Dole's military service and comparing it to Clinton's lack of service (heh, lack of service --- avoidance is more like it.)
My-oh-my, though, how they changed their rhetoric when they had the opportunity to prop up John "I served in Vietnam, let me say that again...." Kerry's candidacy. Oh - then...THEN it was the Left touting and promoting Kerry's war service like he singlehandedly defeated "Jengis" Khan and his armies. What a crock!
Now, veterans are holding Murtha's lack of military support and his unjustified criticism of the military up to microscopic exam. Good for them! They have my full support! More info is available at: www.bootmurtha.com.
He'd make a good Monty Python dumb,
"Professor Gumby" I think.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.