Sunday, August 06, 2006
Happy Birthday Andrew Warhola
Happy Birthday Andy Warhol, born August 6, 1928. And that's 1928 plus or minus a year or two - or so- considering in a 1990 biography, "Superstar: The Life and Times of Andy Warhol", it was stated Andy didn't like people to know how old he was, so he m-a-y have been born a couple years before 1928, hence his reluctance to tell people his real age or admit the real year of his birth.
Anyway, I've always been an admirer of his art.
According to the above biography Warhol coined the phrase "Superstar". If that claim is embellished, which it may be, no one can deny that he didn't bring the word to the world's attention, not so much with regard to himself, but those that he deemed "Superstars", the glitterati of his era.
He survived being shot three times in the chest on June 3, 1968, by Valerie Solanis, an actress who had worked for him.
He died in 1987, at the age of 58 (far too young!), due to possible complications from routine gallbladder surgery or possibly being given medication to which he may have been allergic. Various lawsuits were filed against the hospital and ultimately a settlement was reached between his estate and the hospital.
During his productive years, of which there were many, he cranked out All Things Art that today remain original in their conceptuality as well as trend setting and cutting edge as when he created them.
Superstar: Andy Warhol
One of his "Mao's"
Marilyn Monroe - Multi
Marilyn Monroe - Solo
Warhol Biography: Artquote.Net
Warhol Biography: PSU.EDU
Warhol Biography: Wikipedia
The Andy Warhol Museum
Andy's TDK Television Commercial
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.