Friday, December 23, 2005
Kofi Percolates, Boils Over
Onlookers say Kofi's head exploded, just like in the movie "Scanners".
For the world's most senior diplomat it was a decidedly undiplomatic moment. In a rare fit of temper for a man famed for keeping his cool, the UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, launched an extraordinary attack against the New York correspondent of the Times, James Bone, branding him an "overgrown schoolboy".
The outburst came during an end of year press conference after the Times reporter questioned him about his son, Kojo, and the Iraq oil-for-food programme. "I think you're being very cheeky," the UN secretary general said. "Listen James Bone, you've been behaving like an overgrown schoolboy in this room for many, many months and years. You are an embarrassment to your colleagues and to your profession. Please stop misbehaving and please let's move on to a serious journalist."
The Always Defiant Kofi Annan: Appearing Now on The Lecture Circuit, Shaming Reporters. Call 888-555-UNFY for additional information.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.