Wednesday, October 12, 2005
Title: To establish and rapidly implement regulations for State driver's license and identification document security standards, to prevent terrorists from abusing the asylum laws of the United States, to unify terrorism-related grounds for inadmissibility and removal, and to ensure expeditious construction of the San Diego border fence.
"The Real ID is vital to preventing foreign terrorists from hiding in plain sight while conducting their operations and planning attacks," Sensenbrenner said. "By targeting terrorist travel, the Real ID will assist in our war-on-terror efforts to disrupt terrorist operations and help secure our borders."
You know, this Driver License Nationalization gimmick is just that, a gimmick. Putting into practice what the bill calls for isn't going to stop anybody from doing any of the things noted above.
Let me get this right, Mr. Sensenbrenner, instead of concentrating on the individuals who illegally cross the border in San Diego and putting time and money into the problem there, you are instead requiring those who were born here and those who come here legally to have to register as "legal citizens"? Did you consider building a big fence? A really, really big one?
And your bill will stop terrorists how? By making my SSN and other identifying numbers all part of a National I.D. Card? And this reduces terrorism how?
How about doing a better job of the screening process of people coming in? Whew, that must not be pork barrel enough for Sensenbrenner. See, folks, not only Liberals can make bad law. Republicans do their share too! That's why I have consistently said I'm Independent/Libertarian.
Hey- Thanks SenSen for selling my privacy. I'm sure though, that all that information will be kept as guarded as the SSN was promised to be "only for tax information" when it walked the plank and splashed into our lives.
A few years ago Minnesota tried the same thing, "investing" (i.e. spending money) in upgrading the DL and making it harder to forge. Not only does that story note itself that fakes appeared afterward, This Guy sold fake ID's for years, many of them fake MN DL's!
This legislation is frightening under any political party.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.