Thursday, October 04, 2007
Flaming Object Over Minnesota Sky
A flaming object over Minnesota skies this afternoon may have been a meteor.
Shortly after 2 p.m., people across the Twin Cities reported seeing a "metallic" object or "flaming ball" falling from the sky.
Broadcasters and emergency dispatchers got hundreds of calls from people who saw the object traveling from the northeast to the southwest.
The FAA received no reports of anything falling from any airplanes in the area, leading to speculation that it was a meteor that burned up in the atmosphere, since no crash site has been identified.
Residents of Lyon County in far southwestern Minnesota reported a loud boom that might have been connected with the sightings in the Twin Cities.
Navy reservist Greg Devereaux, who lives near the town of Amiret, says it shook his house and sounded like a sonic boom from an F-14 breaking the sound barrier at close range.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.