Thursday, July 02, 2009
Michael Jackson's Funeral Date and Location Undecided; Will Names Diana Ross As Guardian; Is First Artist To Sell Over One Million Downloads In A Week
Funeral plans remained undetermined, and Jackson's family said in a statement that no public or private ceremony would be held at the singer's Neverland Valley ranch in central California.
MICHAEL Jackson's body will make a poignant final journey to Neverland, suggesting the sprawling fantasy retreat could become a permanent memorial.
A motorcade will escort the body on Friday to the King of Pop's 1000ha estate, which was a monument to Jackson's obsession with childhood.
Police said the Jackson family planned a public viewing on Saturday, which could draw a crush of fans to the isolated property 240km north of Los Angeles.
MICHAEL JACKSON's family has confirmed reports a planned public viewing of the King of Pop's remains at his former Neverland Ranch home has been scrapped.
A new statement from the Jackson family reads, "Contrary to previous news reports... there will be no public or private viewing at Neverland.
"Plans are underway regarding a public memorial for Michael Jackson."
The will makes no provision for bequests to Jackson's father or any of his eight siblings, and a court filing indicates that beneficiaries of the Michael Jackson Family Trust are limited to his children and mother Katherine. Six other relatives, including his brother Tito's three sons, are named as "contingent remainder beneficiaries" who would share the estate in the event that Jackson's principal beneficiaries died before he did.
In the case that Jackson's mother were to predecease him (or was unable or unwilling to serve as guardian), Jackson stipulated that singer Diana Ross should be appointed guardian of his minor children.
Michael Jackson has sold a record 2.6 million digital songs in one week, up from 48,000 a week ago, according to sales data compiled by SoundScan. The feat makes Jackson the first artist to sell over a million downloads in a single week.
The number includes both Jackson's solo work, and albums with the Jackson 5.
Labels: Michael Jackson
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.