Friday, June 05, 2009
Penguins Even Series With Red Wings;
Reset The Clock, It's A 2-2 Series;
Reset the clock Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The series is tied two games apiece.
Sidney Crosby had his first goal in this playoff in the second period. Booyah Baby, just fucking Booyah!
Evgeni Malkin put the Pens ahead a few minutes into the first period but Red Wing Darren Helm tied it up shortly before two minutes before the end of the period.
Detroit took a 2-1 lead almost immediately at the beginning of the second period, but Pittsburgh's Jordan Staal matched it and tied the score 2-2. Then Crosby made it 3-2 scoring off an assist from Malkin.
Six minutes before the end of the period, Penguin Tyler Kennedy - one of the NHL 2008 Young Stars Team - scored on Detroit goalie Chris Osgood giving Pittsburgh a 4-2 lead, and that is where the score remained for the rest of the game and through a scoreless third period. Yes, yes - you read that right - a scoreless third period.
Game five is Saturday night and it takes place in Detroit at Joe Louis Arena.
This series is a referendum for the Penguins on last year's series. They lost last year to Detroit. They shouldn't have, but they did. Detroit was the better team last year, but Pittsburgh could have beaten them. A small part of me died when the Penguins lost last year. I'm sure many Penguin fans - not to mention the actual players themselves and coach (a different one) - had a part of them die too last year. The pressure on the Penguins must be enormous with this series. They know Detroit will not rest on its laurels, content to be last season's Cup winner.
If the Pens can maintain their concentration and what appeared to be completely renewed physical endurance they found playing at home in games three and four...
...I can't and I won't make any predictions. Hockey is too important and sacred for me to do that.
Labels: NHL 2008-2009
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.