Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Female Iraqi Militant Leader Held
Sales Pitch: "Such a nice daughter you have.
Has she considered a career in suicide terrorism? It's a growing industry."
Security spokesman Maj Gen Qassim Moussawi said the woman was a leader of Ansar al-Sunna.
Officials released a video allegedly showing the confession of Samira Jassim after her arrest two weeks ago.
Gen Moussawi alleged that the woman had a direct line of contact to the leaders of Ansar al-Sunna in Diyala province.
"She has confessed to recruiting more than 28 female suicide bombers. They all carried out terrorist acts in various parts of Iraq," he said.
"She sent them to the terrorists, in one of the farms where they provided the suicidal women with bombs. Then Samira took the women to the targeted place."
Iraqi militants have increasingly used women to carry out suicide attacks, hiding explosives under their clothes as they are less likely to be searched than men.
In the video, which was shown to journalists in Baghdad, the woman said she had prepared the women for suicide before sending them for terror training at insurgent bases.
She said she had to speak to one elderly woman several times before persuading her to blow herself up at a bus station.
She said it also took two weeks to recruit another woman who was a teacher and had problems with her husband and his family, according to the confession.
The new recruit eventually attacked members of government-backed Sunni groups in Diyala, Samira Jassim said.
She went by the code name “the mother of believers,” Samira Ahmed Jassim al-Azzawi confessed. She recruited women to join extremists in Diyala, escorting them to a farm for training and ultimately to their targets.
[She said in her] confession that ... she had been involved in recruiting 80 female suicide bombers for attacks in Diyala and Baghdad, though in her own words she recruited only 28 women, “maybe a bit more or less than that.”
Maybe Jassim can do a two-segment interview that will air on "Oprah?" Oprah can shed her crocodile tears, Jassim can feign repenting and get a multi-million dollar book and movie deal. Anjelica Huston can play her in the film. Looks just like her.
Oh, I know, Matt Lauer can interview Jassim and ask her if she agrees with those who think Jessica Simpson has a weight problem. Yeah, that'll be a ratings-getter.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.