Thursday, September 25, 2008
Knut's Keeper Thomas Doerflein Dies
Thomas Doerflein, tha man at the German zoo who raised polar bear cub Knut has died. Digital Journal:
The sweet man who was known for hand-feeding the Berlin born polar bear cub, Knut, died in his Berlin apartment earlier this week from a heart attack. Thomas Doerflein has taken care of Knut since his mother abandoned him in 2006.
The man who served as the mother to the famous rejected polar bear, Knut, was found dead in his apartment in Berlin just two days ago. Details regarding his death had initially not been released however, the Press Association did say:
A statement from Berlin prosecutors said Mr Doerflein suffered a heart attack and that "other causes of death, in particular involvement by another party, are ruled out from a medical point of view".
44-year-old Thomas Doerflein became famous for taking care of Knut after the infant cub was rejected by his mother at a Berlin zoo in 2006.
Knut created quite an international stir when a tabloid printed a supposed quote from an animal rights activist calling for the rejected cub's death. In light of the "Knutmania" that swept the nation following the outrage over the horrible statement made by Frank Albrecht, Thomas Doerflein adopted the mothering role and hand fed Knut.
A photo story being run in The China Daily tells of a long friendship between the two, calling him:
"a good-natured man with a thick black beard, [who] became an improbable sex symbol for his devoted care of Knut and won fame himself for his playful games with Knut before large crowds of adoring fans."
Condolences to the family, friends and fans of Doerflein and, of course, Knut.
Doerflein done good though. Rest in peace Thomas.
Yeah, did you see Doerflein rough-housing with Knut when Knut was grown? Man, that would scare the shit out of me. One swipe from those claws and you're talking a major blood-letting that could've led to certain death. But Doerflein had the bond with Knut. He did "do good", I agree, especially when all those mother fucking fucktards were calling for Knut to be euthanized. Fuckers. I hope there's a special place in hell for those people.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.