Friday, July 11, 2008
Because 55 MPH Worked So Well Last Time
Why is anyone suggesting that we return to a federally mandated speed limit of 55 miles per hour?
I expect this type of non-solution and the attempts to reduce the speed limit to 55 as another Liberal plan to reduce our standard of living. But Virginia's Senior U.S. Senator, Republican John Warner is in on the act too. FOX News:
The high price of gasoline may mean that Congress will now tell you to slow down. Republican Senator John Warner of Virgina has asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to calculate what speed would provide optimum gasoline efficiency under current technology.
In a letter to Bodman, Warner cited studies that show the 55-mile per hour national speed limit saved 167-thousand barrels of oil a day — after it was imposed by Congress in 1974 because of the Arab oil embargo. That speed limit was repealed in 1995.
How long ago was it, how long ago did I write it here, that Obama will be Jimmy Carter 2: The Second Term. I was one of the early ones on the blogosphere comparing an Obama presidency TO no different than Worst.President.Ever Jimmy Carter, especially in energy.
What's the latest from the enviro-friendly Obama, Team Obamaites and his Cult Followers? Federally mandating that states return to driving 55 miles per hour maximum. Oh, yeah. This is great. It worked so well the first time.
Sure brings back the memories, doesn't it?
Well, the Feds won't really mandate that states reduce their speed limit. They'll do what they did under the Carter Administration and withhold federal funding from states that choose not to comply with the mandate, thereby pushing the states to concede at some point to economic blackmail (nice of the Feds to do that, isn't it?) at instituting 55 mph.
What is the definition of Insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results each time? And some of you Lefties wonder why I call you the Insane Liberal Clown Posse? You people are insane, you know that, right? On second thought, insane people usually don't know that they are insane.
Go out there on your own, do some searching, find out that reducing the speed limit won't do much at all for our Democrat-imposed energy problem. Truckers don't like the idea of it, it will end up costing more to the economy, modern vehicles are designed to get better mileage at higher speeds, especially those above 55. It's just a bad and stupid idea.
55 miles per hour. Such a new and profound response from - mostly - the Democrats regarding the energy problems we're having. Surely it is a win-win solution...this time.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.