Thursday, June 19, 2008
McCain Calls Obama's Energy Policy
No Different Than Carter's Policy
McCain called Obama's energy policy the same as that of Jimmy Carter's. NYP:
Speaking in Houston, where many energy companies are headquartered, McCain said of Obama, "He supports new taxes on oil producers. He wants a windfall-profits tax on oil, to go along with the new taxes he also plans for coal and natural gas.
"If the plan sounds familiar, it's because that was President Jimmy Carter's big-idea tool - and a lot of good it did us.
"I'm all for recycling - but it's better applied to paper and plastic than to the failed policies of the 1970s."
Obama opposes offshore drilling and defended his proposed tax, saying he believes in a "windfall profits tax . . . to ease the burden of higher energy costs on working families."
"Instead of giving oil executives another way to boost their record profits, I believe we should put in place a windfall-profits tax that will . . . ease the burden of higher energy costs on working families," he said.
Obama is the one who said we must make do with less, that we need to get used to not eating as much food as we want and need, that we need to get accustomed to being a little hotter this summer by not using our air conditioning and get accustomed to being a little bit colder this winter by not turning our thermostats up as high as we'd like to keep warm. If this ideology isn't right out of Carter's sweater-wearing energy speeches, I don't know what is.
The Obamalith. Just trust it. It will tell you what to do. Obey it. Question it not.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.