Thursday, April 10, 2008
Ex Minnesota Viking Carl Eller
Arrested For Alleged DWI
Former Minnesota Vikings great Carl Eller was jailed Wednesday after allegedly fighting with police after being stopped for possible drunken driving.
Eller was held on suspicion of driving while intoxicated, fleeing police and assaulting a police officer.
Police Inspector Mike Martin said officers in north Minneapolis saw a SUV speed through a stop sign and gave chase. The SUV reached speeds of up to 60 mph through city streets.
Martin said the SUV didn't stop until it pulled into Eller's garage about 1 a.m. Wednesday.
Martin said the officers asked Eller to get out of the vehicle. He refused at first, but when he got out he threatened and fought with officers. They used a Taser, but Martin said it had no effect.
Eller was a member of the famed "Purple People Eaters" in his 15 years as a defensive end with Minnesota from 1964-78. He played in six Pro Bowls and all four of the Vikings' trips to the Super Bowl. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004.
Officers called for backup against the 66-year-old Eller.
When more officers arrived, they subdued Eller and took him to the Hennepin County Jail, Martin said. Eller refused to take a breath or blood test, Martin said.
One of the officers involved in the arrested was treated for a black eye and bruises.
In 2006, Eller was charged in the suburb of Golden Valley with driving under the influence. He later pleaded guilty.
Eller has acknowledged his history as a substance abuser. He became a treatment counselor and has spoken publicly to groups about the problems of chemical dependency.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.