Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Musharraf Concedes Defeat
From the Daily Express:
PRESIDENT Pervez Musharraf conceded defeat in the early stages of Pakistan’s parliamentary elections today.
Musharraf faces stiff competition from the two main opposition parties; the PPP led by the son of assassinated leader Benazir Bhutto and the PML-N led by former prime minister Nawaz Sharif.
Both parties already have a clear majority in the presidential race.
The PPP and the PML-N have so far won 149 seats, which is more than half of the 272-seat Pakistan national assembly.
Musharraf’s party stood a behind at a distant third with only 36 seats.
The two main opposition parties, the PPP of late PM Benazir Bhutto and the PML-N, led by another former PM, Nawaz Sharif, have a clear majority.
If they form a coalition with a two-thirds majority in parliament they could impeach Mr Musharraf.
The BBC's Chris Morris in Islamabad says Mr Musharraf has never looked weaker than he does today.
The full scale of the defeat inflicted on the pro-Musharraf PML-Q will become clearer during Tuesday as more results come in.
Speaking earlier, Mr Musharraf had said: "The result will be the voice of the nation and whosoever wins we should accept it - that includes myself," said Mr Musharraf.
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.