Thursday, January 03, 2008
"Slummy" Neighbor Treated
Poorly By Edwards
The News Observer from April 11, 2007 notes wife of John "The Sissy" Edwards, Elizabeth, called their then-neighbor's home - the guy who lived across from the Edwards 30,000 sq foot mansion - "slummy,":
"I'd just like to know why she has such hard feelings to me," [Monty Johnson] said. "They say they're for poor people."
But apparently, you're nobody until Elizabeth Edwards dislikes you.
The Orange County Republicans sent out a release denouncing Edwards' remarks. Newspapers from as far as Ireland have picked up the story. On Tuesday, "Inside Edition" sent a film crew to his single-wide trailer in rural Orange County that sits near the Edwards' $6 million, 29,000-square-foot estate.
Johnson didn't rebut Edwards' comments. He's a proud member of the Grand Old Party and owns a 9 mm handgun he said he's not afraid to use.
What got his goat, he says, was Edwards' calling his 42-acre property "slummy."
Johnson rents one of the two buildings at the front of his property to a mechanic. The gravel lot is strewn with cars waiting to get fixed.
Johnson thinks the Edwardses don't like him because he put up a sign along Old Greensboro Road that reads: "Go Rudy Giuliani 2008." The couple has to read it every time they pull into their winding driveway.
He also left an abandoned house facing their property. But he said he was born there and doesn't have the money to fix it up or the heart to tear it down.
Still, he said he doesn't know why Edwards, who recently announced her breast cancer had recurred, would badmouth him.
FOX News reports that:
Last spring Mrs. Edwards said Johnson scared her — "I don't want my kids anywhere near some guy who when he doesn't like somebody, the first thing he does is pull a gun out."
Johnson has sold his land for $1.6 million and moved away. But the new owner agreed to a stipulation that Johnson's "Go Rudy Giuliani 2008" sign must stay up as long as Giuliani remains in the race.
There sure are two America's...John Edwards' America, and the rest of us.
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.