Thursday, January 24, 2008
China On Receiving End Of Massive Snowfall
Unusually heavy snow has left at least 16 people dead and brought transport chaos to large areas of central and eastern China, state media said.
Worst hit is Hubei province, where crops have been destroyed and roads blocked by the heaviest snow seen in the area for 16 years.
More than 7.8 million people there have been affected by the weather, a local official told Xinhua news agency.
Half of all roads in Hubei province were closed because of the snow, Xinhua said, as well as large areas of northern Anhui province.
Expressways in Shanxi and Henan provinces were also closed.
The snow had also cut a transmission line carrying electricity from the massive Three Gorges Dam to the city of Shanghai.
Flights in the region had been delayed and long-distance coaches cancelled, leading to large crowds at railway stations.
More snow is forecast for central China over the next two days, meteorologists said.
It also is important to note just how quiet The Man Who Would Not Be President, Albert Gore, Junior, has been with his Global Warming Panic And Alarmist Tour this winter.
Labels: Gore earth fever
Links to this post:
accordance and compliance with Fair Use Section 107 U.S. Copyright Code.
All other images and content © 2005-2009 David Drake.
Not responsible for content contained at linked sites.
Policy on commenting:
- Anonymous comments have little chance of being published.
- Comments made on posts 60 days old or older have little chance of being published.
- Published comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog author.
- Discretion of publishing or rejecting submitted comments rests solely with the owner and creator of this blog.
- Comments that egregiously "plug" (i.e. advertise or promote) another site or blog will be rejected. This doesn't mean you cannot include a link to your story, blog or to another site, but don't go overboard.
- Profanity is not a disqualifying factor, but profane rants solely for purposes of profanity are unlikely to be published.
- The owner and creator of this blog is not liable or responsible for the opinions of those who comment.